Tuesday, October 4, 2011

All about US: Day 4

OUR FAVORITE BOOKS

Lila: I was told at a young age that I had reading comprehension challenges. I took this to mean I was dumb and couldn't read well so I never 'wasted' my time reading. BOY AM I SO SAD I DIDN'T READ MORE!! Anyway, I love to read a good book now and if I had more time, I'd be reading a novel right now. The first book I choose to read is actually required reading but I wanted to read it cause my sister read it and I wanted to be a lot like her. To Kill a Mockingbird. I love the story. I've read it again last year and got more out of it. Growing up I had a wonderfully naive life and never imagined such a story of strife and prejudice so my eyes were really opened. Since that time, the next  book/series I felt intrigued by was Harry Potter. Now if you can imagine, I knew it was popular mind you but it's not why I wanted to read it. Before it hit shelves I happened to catch an early talk show interview with J.K. Rowling, talking about "her new series Harry Potter" that was already generating a lot of buzz despite not being released yet. As a child I was allowed the freedom to day dream (Thank you mom and dad) and have an imagination. I loved the sound of her book and couldn't wait to read it. When it came out, it exploded. People waiting in line all night for an unknown author with an unknown book. I decided to wait for the craziness to end before reading the book and later book"s". It never ended! lol. Everyone I knew and was related to read it already and I couldn't wait but didn't get started till the 1st Movie was about to come out. I read all 4 available books in like a month?! It was BEYOND my expectations, I loved it and now know what people mean when they say 'the movie didn't do the book justice'. The movies have been good but it can't possibly capture all the details I was excited by. Anyway, I've also read the " Fablehaven " series which I LOVE LOVE LOVE but still haven't read the final book! yikes. There is a movie in Post Production allegedly so I am pumped to see that! I hope you will check out the link to it and read it yourself. I actually 'know' the author Brandon Mull from church in California but didn't know he wrote it till I was already interested in the book. My next read... when I have time... is the Jane Austen series of stories. I have watched the movie adaptations for the first time in the last 2 years so I'm excited to join the club, albeit later than most, of book fans.

Mike: Anything Michael Crichton or Dan Brown (let me say Michael reads all the time and really loves reading. I want my children to know how much their dad is interested in learning about new things as well as enjoys reading for fun. These authors are just his favorites but he reads all kinds of books. I like that about him xo.) 

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I have reading comprehension problems- I think that's why I don't enjoy reading. I was told when I was younger too and it was just too frustrating to keep up with others. I used to go to tutoring for it. I guess I shouldn't let it still get to me.