Friday, October 21, 2011

All about US: Day 21

RECIPES YOU LOVE

Lila: I was taught my friends when I lived in Utah, how to make
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
6 drumsticks          10 burrito size flour tortillas
1 container sour cream          8oz mild cheddar cheese shredded
1 can cream of mushroom soup          1 small can mild diced green chili's (we only use 1/2)
Boil Chicken till poked with a fork and there is no blood. Drain and pull/shred chicken from bone. Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients with chicken and scoop large spoonful in center of tortilla. Roll up like a burrito and lay them side by side in greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top. I was taught and prefer to refrigerate over night and warm one at a time for 1 minute in the microwave. These freeze perfectly and can be warmed up from frozen in about a minute as well. You can also use chicken breast but the thigh is tastier.
*Still yummy with low fat ingredients too!
Many of my family members now make them. My Scotcharoos are heroes to many as well.
6 cups Rice Krispies          1 cup light Karo Syrup
1 cup granulated sugar          1 cup JIFF creamy Peanut Butter*
1/2 bag Butterscotch chips          1 cup Chocolate chips
In medium saucepan, on medium heat, combine Karo syrup and sugar till clear and sugar is melted, then add Peanut butter. Stir till smooth and creamy then add to Krispies, combining well. Spread out on a cookie sheet or for thicker ones, a 9x13 pan. Next, in double broiler, combine chocolate and butterscotch chips till melted. Spread over Krispies and let solidify before cutting to size. *use whatever brands you want but this is my favorite.
I first experienced them on my mission when I was serving in Everett. The Elder’s were teaching a woman named Vivian and she told them to invite the Sister missionaries the next time they came and that’s the delicious treat she made for us. I literally made up the name cause she didn’t have one, only recently to find out, someone else over the years has also named them that. Seriously. I have other things I like to make but some special recipes I didn’t discover myself but none the less love are: crème brulee. I’ll never forget the first time I had it. Ballagio Chicken at Cheesecake Factory, a recent discovery that I don’t know how to make but do know how to order.  :) Mike and I both used to love the fajitas at Don Pablo's till they went out of business :*( We haven't found an equal. I always order Shrimp Alfredo from Olive Garden but will angel hair pasta. Do it! Something else I love is homemade cream sodas, floats or freezes. 
To make an Italian Cream Soda:
Club Soda                  Grenadine flavor of your choice (cherry is my favorite, check tj maxx!)
whipping cream                 whipped cream
You will add grenadine to your taste. Maybe up to 4 tbsp per glass. Next add about 1/4c. whipping cream (be careful, it 'reacts' to the club soda and can bubble over so add slowly). Top with whipped cream and colorful sprinkles for fun. Mmmmm.

Mike: My grandmother’s (Zelma Spangler) banana pudding recipe. There is none better. My Mother’s Christmas cookie recipe. My mother-in-laws potato salad recipe and ANY recipe that involves sausage!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love it too. Printed it off. Thanks. Love, yfm