Sunday, January 2, 2011

Service

I am so excited about this service project that Mason K in our ward is doing with local Child Protective Services. Today in Relief Society, they announced that for his Eagle Project, he is making a sort of stuff sack for the kids. When they are removed from the home, apparently the case worker or representative shows up to the home, gives the kids a trash bag and 20-30min to cram whatever they can in it before they have to leave. I cannot express the sadness this inspires in me. Thinking of the fear and confusion it insites in these children when they are taken from their homes (for probably excellent reason!). But when they have such a short time to pack their life, it's a comfort to me to think at least for some, it won't be in a trash bag.
The women at church have been asked to help out by bringing fabric, ties and sewing machines to church on the 11th where we will make bags for the children to place their stuff in. I am really excited to be part of this and hope it inspires more service in the community. I don't have the supply list yet but if you have extra old fabric, thread or long shoelace/something to use for the tie that you aren't using and that you want to donate, please let me know and maybe we can arrange to meet each other somewhere. I'm sure it doesn't matter if it matches and I assume they will be the size of a large pillowcase or something just to give you the idea. I will post pictures of the outcome. If you are reading this and intersted in helping out, please let me know how you want to be involved and I'll see if they need the extra hands/sewing machines etc. I can't wait to talk about this again.

2 comments:

Lee said...

What a great service!

To answer your question, I'm using Blurb.com. It's not very hard but was confusing to me at first. It will link to your blog and upload it. Then you can go page by page and fix or remove what you need to. Then it will save it on your computer until you are ready to pay to publish it. Mine is going to be about 85$ for the 3 years. It would have been 40 for just 2010. Let me know if I can help!

Dan said...

That sounds like a fun service project. Cant' wait to see the progress.