Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Neeeew Bed

Hooray for Evan!
So as you may know, a couple months ago I tried Evan out on the toddler version of his crib which was immediately apparent, he wasn't ready for but after seeing some of his friends of the same age graduating to their toddler beds, I felt it was time to try it again. SUCCESS! Yesterday after his nap Evan and C.G. "helped" me take the side wall off, add a piece of wood and waa la, insta toddler bed. Evan sat there pretending to listen as I explained his 'big boy' bed and that when he sleeps in it, he has to stay in it and 'not... get... out'. He seemed to be and not be paying attention but I was satisfied something had gone through his cute little brain. Last night, we put him to bed, explaining again to 'not get out of bed' (especially torturous to him as I had a shiny humidifier on in his room, mere feet from his grasp, that he cannot resist touching-no matter the punishment). The challenge was set, we turned on his moon nigh light, shut the door and went straight to the video monitor. Now mind you, normally when he goes to bed he jumps for 30min + so I expected 'some' rebellion in the bed but with his recent low fever (i think is gone as of this morning - fingers crossed), I think the poor kid was exhausted. By the way it was only 7 instead of his normal 8pm bedtime so this was even MORE impressive. Anyway, from the video monitor, we watched as he quickly fell asleep to the hum of a humidifier, soft melodies of his Scout dog, Vick's vapor plug in the wall and again, moon night light shining. We are very proud of him... Around midnight, I couldn't help myself and went to check on him in person (as opposed to on the monitor). He woke up and sleep talked. I hugged him and whispered, "I love you". He answered me in muffled whisper.."ge owww". I said, "what baby?" and he repeated, more clear, "Get...Out". !!!! LMBO! I wanted to die laughing and then he said, "High 5", of which I gladly participated, gave him a kiss, another 'I love you' and quietly left his room. :)
THE MORNING AFTER: Before C.G. came, Evan would sleep in until 9 or 930 in the morning but that is to be seen no more. He's pretty much up when she is up anytime after 730 now. So... at 750am when I was in a deep sleep, dreaming of a deep sleep (ha ha ha), I heard a little whimper over the monitor in Cora's room that she wanted to get up and be fed now please. I pressed the "snooze" button (aka; turned the volume down and ignored my adorable daughter for a few more winks) but a few minutes later, I could swear I heard the 'pitter patter' of size 7/8 socked feet, dancing across the living room floor. I was about to check his monitor but as I sleepily glanced out the bedroom door, there stood a 'statue' of an adorable dark shadow of a 2 year old who said, in a whisper... "Mama? You help it?" (normally the very first thing I hear from him is "Ovaltine!?"). I jumped from my bed with a grin on my face of what he could possibly need my help with but also from pride that he made it the whole night in his bed. He led me to his room where he showed me that he had indeed dismantled the humidifier (of which he was gently scolded. lol). After a lecture, he jumped in his bed of his own accord and said, "Big Boy Bed, Mommy." Yes, it is sweet son, you are such a Big Boy now. :)

Let's see how nap time does or doesn't go.... cross fingers! :)



 pretty accurate on what it's like to try to keep Evan in one place. :) j/k.

3 comments:

MotherMonkee said...

Hooray for Evan!!

Mama Mary said...

Oh! I love this "story". . . great job Evan! Whoo-hoo for you! So, you really can be a "fly on the wall". . . how fun is that?!?!?!

Scatcat said...

So cute! I am proud of him too, and your story was so cute, and I felt a flashback to my own "big kid" bed moments with my kids :-) Kinda made me miss the 2 year old versions :-D