Saturday, April 9, 2011

movie quote

At the announcement of Elizabeth Taylor's Death, I took to my DVR to record movies she was in. I have never seen a movie of hers to be honest. In the last week, I have wasted some time but tonight am watching "Little Women" c.1949. I have seen the more recent adaptation of the movie with Winona Ryder (sp?) and enjoyed it. Anyway... In the story, the family who was once rich is now poor but happy and full of energy and vigor. They are pretty humble and I admire their life despite the rich looking down on them. In a scene where the 4 "poor" daughters are invited to their millionaire neighbor and friends house for a ball, 2 sisters over hear a mother and daughter degrading their family and family plight and it sends the sisters into a united depression. The mother was trying to match her daughter with the rick Mr. Laurie (sp?) but were offended when he brushed them off to spend time with, "Jo", one of the poor sisters. The sisters leave soon after for home and make a pact not to tell their mother what they heard so she won't worry etc. Jo is being tucked into bed by her mother and decides to ask her mother if she has 'plans' for she or her sisters... to marry off to a rich man (superficially) etc' I really liked the moms answer and for some reason decided to blog about it. This is what she said;
"Yes, I have a great many plans. I want you all to be beautiful, accomplished and good. I want you to be admired and loved and respected. I want you to lead pleasant and useful lives and I pray to the Lord to send you as little sorrow as he see's fit. Of course I'm ambitious for you and of course I'd like to see you marry rich men, if you love them. I'm no different than any other mother but I'd rather see you as the happy wives of poor men or even respectable old maids then queens on thrones without peace or self respect."
I think it is very special advice from a mother who loves her children and I guess that is why I wanted it repeated. I hope someone reading it needed to read it. :)

1 comment:

Carrie and Nathan said...

That is my favorite version of that movie. The current one is good, but LOVE the older much more. Great quote! Thanks for sharing!