Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Toddler Prayers and other such things


Evan has taken the initiative to say our family prayers lately. When we have our family prayers at night Mike is usually still at work so he hears my prayers all the time. I admit, I can be repetitive in my prayer beginnings but I promise, I really mean it so I say it every time almost, then the body of the prayer changes to new things I'm thankful for and blessing's I'm seeking. Evan will begin with the same 2 sentences now. :) I wish I had a better memory and gave myself more time to document the other things he's prayed for lately but here was tonight's bed time prayer (he also blessed our food this afternoon naming the carrots, corn, 'dip it'/ketsup and macaroni. he wasn't too thankful for the other veggies or his fish sticks I guess, ha ha ha):
I got him started with "Dear Heavenly Father"....

Evan: "Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for this day. Thank you for our blessing... Thank you for Pizza and Ranch Dressing. In the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

We did not have pizza today or in the last week or two, unless Mike gave them some Saturday but that was the last time he would have had it. It is very curious what goes on in these little minds.

Right now, when Evan gets punished in Time Out, he has to tell me why he was in T.O. after he is freed from doing his time. It totally cracks us up that when he comes over, you say "Why were you in Time Out" but he is mimicking you AS you say it. Next, he cannot remember WHY he's in t.o., hilarious in itself but then, he says, "Because...." (waiting for you to give him a hint, he searches your eyes very innocently until you help him out. which he continues to mimic your every word...)... "you, hit Cora Grace... and that is very naughty. Tell me you are sorry, 'I'm sorry' (hugs and kisses me) and tell Cora Grace you are sorry and give her a hug." EVERY word of the parentheses section is repeated right after you say it. It is beyond hilarious. I've tried videoing it before but he just gets distracted by the phone filming him. :/ bummer!

Yesterday I was trying to decide if I should have a birthday party for him this year or just have cake etc with our family. I asked him if he had a party, who would he want to have over. Not surprised, he said, "Hayden! and Logen, and Liz.... and Daddy Hayden." lol he doesn't remember H's daddy's name and last time he talked about him, he just called him "Daddy" so "Daddy H" is an improvement. :)


Today we spent a little time at our friend Stacey's. While at her house, Evan pointed out that her pie shaped coffee table was "a piece of pizza". :) We both laughed.

In an effort to avoid Nap Time on Monday, Evan begged to call Daddy so we did. It back fired on him cause Daddy backed me up and told Evan it was nap time. Well, in another of Evan's new 'things' Daddy turning him down from obeying Nap time didn't deter him from trying to avoid his bed prison time so he next begged to talk to Grandma Putsie. (testing authority around him till he gets his way) She is in California, 2 hours behind in time zones but she has talked to him on the phone before and he apparently thinks she will be allies with him. Again, disappointment when she wasn't there but he did get to leave 2 messages so maybe he thinks he got his way. I got nothing, he didn't sleep. No one won that day. :/.

Sunday night Evan would NOT go to sleep. Even though he went to bed at 8pm and seemed extremely sleepy, he was still up and full on talking at 1030pm. I went in to punish him but he was Johnny on the spot, asking if he could come out and "sit with you for a minute on the couch?" How do you say no to that? I know I should and could but I didn't say no, I told him he could sit on the couch by me for 5 minutes. When that time was nearing an end, he asked if he could get down and play, I said, "no you may not, it's time for bed again." Looking now at Mike without skipping a beat, he said "Daddy, can I get down and play for a minute?" (everything's for 'a minute'. mommy says that a lot). DENIED! but very entertaining.

Lastly, sometime in the last few 7 days/week, we have let Evan start sleeping with a flashlight. We loved it because for 2 nights he went immediately asleep for the excitement to play with the flashlight. We went in to check on him and the flashlight was still on, being hugged by a toddler and lighting up the wall behind his head. Well... on this one night (maybe even Sunday), I had threatened him that if he wasn't quiet, I would take his flashlight as a punishment. He started talking again so I went in and took it. He was quiet a little while before you heard some soft pleading that "I'll be good, can I have my flashlight... pleeeeeaaase?" Ok, I gave in (again!) and told him I'd give him another try and gave it back, said goodnight and shut the door. Mike and I were watching a show together and maybe 30min of near silence had passed when all the sudden, Evan was yelling like a banshee, top of his lungs and then we heard his fists hit the door multiple times. It took a minute for the shock to wear off so I could pay attention to what he was yelling at us. "Give me my flashlight! You took my flashlight! Gimme it!" Apparently he maybe fell asleep for a minute and forgot we gave it back and was now accusing his innocent parents of stealing. I cleared it all up and found his flashlight of which he apologized and repeated verbatim what I said to him. :)

3 comments:

Vivian said...

Ah! I love these stories!! Sweet boy!

Chesney said...

Prayers from little ones are so cute! Is Pizza his favorite food?

Anonymous said...

This is a different format? What's up? Loved the story. Felt like I was there. I didn't realize that he called me to support him. Sorry about that. Tell him I love him and love to hear from him any time. Love, YFM, FGM.