Monday, July 11, 2011

Chicago

Mike and I, his brother Matt and our sister in law Nanci all went to Chicago last week. Mike and Matt had bought tickets to see U2 in Chicago a year ago and the concert was cancelled for Bono to get back surgery. When they opened the date for Chicago again this year, they got them AND surprise, they also opened a date for a Nashville concert. ;/ Oh well, I guess that means, Michael gets to see his favorite band twice in 4 days, 2 different states. Originally both families were going to go together but then decided to have just the wives go. It was a good idea on paper (till I realized I was petrified of leaving my kids). Still we did, we left our kids with friends and our nieces got to stay with Mike's parents. Let me just document that I really didn't want to leave the kids and made myself ask someone cause I knew it could be a nice trip for us. I am happy to say that after many many prayers to help me subside the "guilt" of leaving them, I was able to enjoy myself. Mike and I didn't have to stop our plans for naps or feedings and that was nice. I especially appreciate the Olsen's for being willing to watch the kids the night before we left so we could leave at 6am on July 4th.
We drove 8ish hours to Schaumburg (where our hotel was), and made it in time to rest up and change to drive again to Navy Pier in downtown Chicago. I was really excited about this because, we booked a Fireworks "cruise" on Lake Michigan. Last time we went to Chicago, I didn't get to see Navy Pier so it was at the top of my list of things to do. The 'cruise' (water taxi) was killing two birds with one stone, fulfilling a goal and adding a fun boat ride. It was soOOOO crowded on the Pier which was fun at the beginning (for me) to people watch, but at the end as we left it was so crowded, it was dangerous. We walked shoulder to shoulder with strangers to leave and later found out a bloody fight had broken out over nothing but crowd frustrations/tempers/ignorance. Anyway... the cruise was really nice. The weather was fantastic, warm but we had a nice breeze there in the 'windy city'. The sky was clear and we were able to relax after such a long drive. Michael didn't even sit since he drove the whole way and didn't need to sit ever again. :) A fun note was, the line to board was kinda ridiculous and un-orderly. A family of 4 or 5, pretended to be confused by how they cut in line right in front of us (and 20 others who had waited at least 30 min by now), faining "is this the line we're supposed to be in" faces but with out actually asking. As we got closer to boarding a boat, we were sad to see we would be some of the last to get on the boat = nowhere to sit. After the family that cut in line got taken to the boat, they stopped us... We were the FIRST one's on the second boat! Whoo hoo. The families cheating didn't pay off and we were able to get the best seats in the house, at the back by the US flag. :) It was really pretty. The skyline was so fabulous and to top it off we got a few picture texts of Evan having a great time watching fireworks and Cora Grace, just being cute (she didn't like the fireworks, not surprised plus she was 3+ hours past her 6p bedtime. Who sleeps from 6p -830a?? she does! crazy kid).






after we took one picture of the Ferris Wheel, we went to the sun setting side for another. :)


here's our companions, Matt and Nanci, looking so fine. :)


I don't have a picture of the crowd after but this view of is of the crowd where we were supposed to be lining up for our boat. We took to higher ground till we had to get in line.


As we shoved off, this was our first view as the sun was setting. The 'water taxi' on the bottom right is the exact boat we are on but holds the family who cut in line. he he he.


All the featured pictures of us in this post should satisfy anyone who misses us in all the pictures of the kids. :) I posted plenty of buddy shots even though they look sort of the same, just different outfits. :)












I couldn't choose. Is one better than the other? I don't know, I just posted both.





Obviously we went to the Sears Willis Tower to get 'the best view of the city' and took lots of pictures of downtown along with everyone else. :)



This is as close as I got to 'Millenium Park', (see the twisted sculpture on the left, middle of the picture?) a place I hoped to go to but never made it. I guess I just have to go back soon :). Next time I will bring the kids though. I think it's a very family friendly town and would love to take Evan to the Children's museum for sure.






new hairs grow on his chest from the experience. (ha ha ha) :).


side views of the other Sky decks




Michael with his 'sister from another Mr. and Mrs., Nanci. They were the first brave ones and showed Matt and I 'the way'. ;)


I think about it for awhile before I cautiously step out. Please note, it is not an accident that I'm holding the glass. I was NOT comfortable walking out there but didn't want to hold up the other people waiting to walk out. I definitely held on the the 'wall' for a bit before I felt comfortable enough to let go. Some of these pictures were taken in a second enclave when Matt and I got more brave. :)




This was my effort to show my babies are with me (on my bracelet), while showing the view down.


The whole gang about to try our second sky deck.

By this time, I didn't really feel nervous anymore. Whew!

I love this picture Mike took.



Our ride down in the super fast elevator (103 floors in 60 seconds or so!)

Matt and Michael decided to 'dress up' as Abe Lincoln in the gift shop. If you put Honest Abe next to either of them, I'm not sure you could tell them apart. :) I'm pretty sure my mother in law is going to love this picture of her silly boys.

Ahhh... Giordano's. Mmmmmm.


Pretty sure I love both of these pictures of Matt & Nanci and also Mike and I. I really captured M & N in a laugh so their smiles are very genuine. My husband on the other hand, made this face with me unawares and he was scolded and 'told' to do a real smile.. that was spectacular on the retake but... Going through the pictures, I decided this was a perfect picture and want to tell my honey that, I love you babe and all your silly faces that remind me not to let myself get so serious in life.
You are my world.





Time to relax before leaving the next day. I love that they are all sitting the same. lol.

We also visited IKEA to eat and to shop while we were there and of course had the best time ever. I just wish they had one in my town here. Then again, it's probably good on my budget not to have one here. :) ha ha ha. Another fun thing Nanci and I did was, after MUCH deliberation, we allowed the guys to drop us off at the local mall by our hotel to shop and eat at the Cheesecake Factory. We were hesitant because we would have to take a cab home. I know this may sound lame but at 37 years old (she's "just" over 40, he he he) myself or Nanci have never taken a taxi! We were total chickens to do this alone. Finally we just fed off each other and decided to go for it. Again, sad but true. To be fair, I never lived in a 'city' growing up where a taxi was needed. Anyway after we shopped a little and ate one of the most delicious meals of my life! (on server recommendation) I got and shared: Chicken Bellagio - It ROCKED MY WORLD and I don't see it online which scares me that it won't be there when I try to eat it again soon. :)  Nanci got, and shared: Dynamite Tempura Shrimp which was also DELICIOUS!!! It totally payed off because we had a great time together, as always, eat well and then... called a cab! :) That was also fun cause it was a rock, paper, scissors moment. lol. We picture texted Mike and Matt a play by play of our 'nervous picture' waiting for the cab to get there, 'in the cab' and 'safely home' and relieved. :) I'm totally still giggling if you can't tell. I'm proud of us for 'making it home' alive. ha ha ha. (oh and then we talked our husbands ears off with our excitement of our sister in law date when they returned from the concert. they were concerned about our chattiness. ha ha ha.)

We had a great trip our kids were taken care of by our friends the Olsen's but also by their favorite babysitters ever, Sam and her family. Thank you all for chasing and entertaining Evan and also putting up with Cora's adorableness and new walking trick. :) I'm sure it was difficult but glad to see you to made it out alive. :) he he he.

6 comments:

Hallie Owens said...

Talk about fun! You have done something I have never done, the two of us together spending the night without the kids. If you come back to Chicago you need to call us. A four - five hour drive is nothing. We would love to come and play with you and your family! We play so much our house looks like we play, so there is a trade off for everything I guess. But, we do have fun.

Cher said...

It looks like you had a fun trip. My sister and I went to the U2 concert in SLC. It was so awesome! I love Chicago and Navy Pier. Except when we went to the Sears (Willis) Tower, it was cloudy. We waited two hours, but it never cleared up. Your pictures look great. I was waaaay too scared to go out on the glass balconies. You are a champ!

Holly said...

Looks like a fun trip! My office designed the waiting area and other graphics around inside the Willis Tower. I'd love to go there and see the in person!

Little Family Fun said...

Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!!! Even more amazing than I pictured when you told me all about it. Guess I don't have much of an imagination. :)

osj said...

I was wondering where you had been! Glad to hear you got a to get away. Dates are so much more precious these days. =)

Great photos!

osj said...

oh yeah, and the U2 concert was awesome here, but by the end of the night, I was pooped out! SOOOOOO HOOOOTTTTT!!!!!! I would literally pray and thank God every time I felt a slight breeze. =) It's the little things.