Monday, May 23, 2011

Cora's Special Plate

This is the project I did at "The Pottery Place" here in town, where you paint pottery and they fire it to turn it into glazed magic. I made a tile for Evan when he was sealed to us in the Los Angeles Temple but that time I had my sister Ashley to help me. I was all 'alone' this time (the kids were with me in the stroller. there should have a been a camera to record the hilarity of me trying to be creative while babysitting my mildly cranky children. lol). I am proud to say I completely free handed the temple from a photo I took lately. I didn't even pencil it first (which burns off in the firing process) so you could say I'm impressed with myself! :). Anyway, this is the before and after for firing it in the kiln (all photos taken from my camera phone if they look weird:

 Front Before
After

Back Before

Back side After.

Evan, Mike's and my thumbprints below Cora's hand print. If I wasn't in such a hurry/kids weren't with me, I would have liked to embellish this and also to make the whole thing look more polished. Overall I am very pleased! It is a treasure that I hope Cora will love all her life. I am also planning to water color them each a picture of the temple they were sealed in, by itself, no writing on it. I have never used water colors before but they can't be harder than this pottery paint... right? ;) We shall see. he he he.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice idea. Where will you display it? Love you. Mom

Hallie Owens said...

You are so talented! How amazing and the kids will cherish it always.

Erin said...

That's pretty darn good! I'm impressed. A wonderful idea too.

Kim said...

I could never freehand something that nice. It's beautiful!

Mama Mary said...

Very, very, VERY impressed!!! Nice work, Lila ~ tell me something you can't do. . . amazing!!! Yep, you are amazing!!! OXOXOX

LittleFamilyJL said...

I love it! They turned out so great. You've got some serious talent.

MotherMonkee said...

Aww, look at that chubby little hand print!! Great job!

osj said...

oh my goodness! this is beautiful! great job Lila! your kids are so lucky to have such a wonderfully talented, creative, thoughtful, loving, record keeping mom! you're the greatest!