Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Biblical Thoughs by Lila

So I teach Sunday School for the Young Singles (18-30) in my congregation. I love them, they are so so smart and funny and good great people. We have a lot of change (attendance) since they are mostly students and they move to our college town then home for summer etc but still, I have a great group for the summer. They make me want to be a better teacher every week and keep me on my toes. As a result, I learn a lot myself even though I'm teaching. Anyway, this year, I have the privilege to teach from the New Testament inspired lesson manual. Each lesson and subject gets better and better and I am growing in my own understanding of Heavenly Father's Plan for us, as I teach. This week I just really loved the inspiration I felt and even had a little lesson in putting to work what I was teaching.
Imagine two gift boxes and the gifts you'd like to receive.
Box One represents one of the greatest gifts we can receive in this life. The 2nd box represents what the Lord called "the greatest of all the gifts of God". I don't know about you but I want them already :). The lesson was # 24 and roughly encompassed John chapters 14-17 when Jesus Christ was preparing his Apostles for his departure. It is definitely a compelling part of the mortal ministry of Christ-full of doctrines and advice for his disciples then and us today.
One thing the Savior left the Apostles with was "The Comforter" or the Holy Ghost. Before his death they had received Manifestations of the Spirit but not until his death did he leave them with the "gift" of the Holy Ghost to testify of God's plans for us on earth. Here is the described mission of the Holy Ghost: Comforts, Teaches, Brings truths to our remembrance, Testifies of the Savior, Guides us into all truth, shows us things to come and Glorifies the Savior. Ok so again, I think I could dig following that guy, right? :)
Box ONE: Gift of the Holy Ghost. check.
We talked about now that we've received this gift (after baptism), how we can remain worthy of it and how can we recognize it. I also want to ask, how do we help ourselves feel worthy of guidance of the H.G.. Galatians 5: 22-23 describes perfectly what I try to remember when I feel discouraged or even down. 22. But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23. Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. In other words, Satan cannot influence or effect us if we have these attributes in our hearts and actions. I know I constantly feel inadequate and could use this encouragement and was grateful for this reminder.
The Apostles were further prepared for Jesus' death and resurrection by the Savior when he said "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world" (John 16:33). I cannot tell you how many insecurities and frustrations in my life have been or could have been alleviated by following this council. Either way, it impressed me to study and teach this too and I had to share it.
Finally, in what I consider a poetic and touching conversation with the Father, Jesus stood between us and and Him to plead for our salvation in John chapter 17. ("the great intercessory prayer) In it He said "This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent" (john 17:3)
Box 2: Eternal Life
The lesson teaches that in the first part of his prayer, Jesus described the things he had done toward fulfilling his mission that the Father sent him to do. The lesson then asks how we report on our efforts to Heavenly Father and in that, I know I could improve greatly. If at the end of our day, we reported our efforts to serve him during the day, we'd have a lot less time to complain about anything wouldn't we. :) Note taken lesson... another thing I am happy to put on my long list of things I will work on.

I wanted to journal this for myself to read later but also felt it is motivating for others ready to hear it so I was determined to share it on the blog. I hope you are inspired by these scriptures (however scatterbrained it was portrayed) and by the sacrifice our Savior made for us. His final days were filled with work to do. He never gave up on his purpose on earth to the very end and that inspires me that I have time to improve and become my best self, mother, wife, sister, daughter etc every moment of my life. Be patient with me. I'm a little stubborn and defensive at first with somethings but I can really come around if you let me. :) God bless!

2 comments:

Little Family Fun said...

I loved reading your thoughts. I have no doubt you are a superb teacher! (and that's not even including the cupcakes you bring!)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lila.Teaching/learning the gospel of Jesus Christ is the best!
Love you. YFM