Saturday, March 3, 2012

Father-Son Date


I'm behind... WAY behind... TOO behind but here we go.
Today was a busy day. It was my day off, normally hallowed ground for family time in my world. Our area had a Regional Relief Society Conference featuring Sister Allred of the General Relief Society Presidency in Madison TN (hour+ drive that felt like 20min in our packed van of fun women). The meeting was really great, the company was equally uplifting and I even got to see a few old friends I wasn't expecting to bump into. But that's not the point so I'll move on. Mike graciously encouraged me to go so I left the babies with him till I got back at 230p. THEN I had to rush home to get Cora Grace ready for a friend, Abigail's 2nd birthday party at 3p. While I would be gone I had encouraged Mike to think about taking Evan somewhere, just the two of them since that NEVER happens that we are apart like that. He reeeeeeaaaallllly wanted to do some 'spring cleaning' he had started this morning but I 'admonished' him to please take an hour break to take Evan to a playground and dinner.
A little back story, we had some terrible storms come through all of Tennessee (and surrounding states) on Friday afternoon and early evening. We needed to run some errands so as soon as we felt safe, we took off, planning to get the kids a burger or something. Evan saw "Old McDonalds" and begged to stop there. When we tried to, they told us they couldn't take orders for 30minutes (assumably from the storms knocking out power? we had no damage in our area thankfully, so I don't know what happened?). So we tried to explain to an expecting "old mcdonalds hamburger" 3 year old, it was 'broken right now' for him to try to understand-hopefully avoiding a melt down. :) Anyway, we left and got a burger for them elsewhere and he was fine. Today however, in Mike's Daddy time and after visiting a couple playgrounds with Evan, this was the continuation of that scenario:
Evan asked Mike, "is Old McDonalds still broken? Is it 'fixed' now?" and "Did somebody charge it?"
Anytime in our home something is 'broken', it means it needs new batteries or we need the cord to charge his beloved Spooka. So I guess he thought, someone might have plugged it in to juice it up. :)
He got to go INSIDE Old McDonalds (maybe his 3rd time, if that), sitting by the window the drive thru people pass (they waved to everybody. cute!), so he was thrilled but the best part was after he ate his kids meal, Daddy got them an Ice Cream sundae to share. :) Mike said he LOVED it so much, he had to ask him to slow down but that at some point, could tell, Evan was getting brain freeze cause he started shivering. Mike asked him if he was cold, Evan said "Yeah... I want to cuddle with you." Awwwwe! I just love that little guy (the big guy too). I'm so thankful Daddy took time to go out with just Evan, I'd like to do that more regularly now that Evan really understands where he wants to go etc. I can't wait for a Mommy-Son Date report. :) The End.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a darling story. It's so much better when we have those one on one times and can focus on one person. I'm glad you all had a wonderful day and that you are all safe and your friends too. Love you, yfm

lovely dear juanita said...

so sweet! special times to remember for sure.